Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Kiss My Ass, 16th Amendment

In my Libertarian youth (when I was actually registered as a party member before I realized the party was composed principally of the criminally insane), one of things that I remember becoming very excited about was the idea of a consumption tax as the only form of taxation. At the time, I filed that away in the same folder marked "Masturbatory Pipedreams" in which every other Libertarian fantasy for the Perfect World seemed to permanently reside.

But faith and begorra, I just yesterday heard of what sounds like a serious movement to make such a thing actually happen.

Of course, that organization has been around for a while and introduced several bills for debate over the years, but it seems that the current Fair Tax bill has much stronger legs than any of its predecessors.

Here's hoping.